We’ll have the police come to our September meeting so you can ask questions and they can share tips, but we’ve had a few reports of suspicious people in the neighborhood. Often in the past, they are selling magazine subscriptions or raising money for a charity you have never heard of. According to the police, you can ask to see their permit (which is required for them to be selling door to door) but it is a good idea to get a description of the person and call the police. They have told us in the past that frequently these people can be casing the neighborhood looking for homes to break into in the future.
A few of our neighbors recently had their vehicles broken into. Here are some tips from the City of Kirkland’s website. The one thing I would add is to make sure to set your alarm.
Tips to Avoid Having Your Vehicle Prowled:
- Lock all vehicle doors and secure windows and convertible or soft tops, even at home, in your own garage, and even if you’re only going to be gone for a few minutes.
- Never leave valuables in your vehicle (including: cell phones, MP3 players, purses, radios, GPS units, garage door openers, cameras, chargers and other accessories, clothes, bags, paperwork, etc.)
- Park in well-lighted areas.
- Trust your instincts! If you hear something suspicious (glass shattering, for example) or see someone looking in multiple vehicles, call 911 immediately. You are the eyes and ears of the Police.
- Have an alarm installed and place a sticker on your window indicating your vehicle is protected.
- Avoid parking next to trucks, SUVs, vehicles with tinted windows, or anything that can serve as a shield for thieves. The more open space and light you have, the better.
Come join your neighbors for food & fun at the annual Everest Neighborhood Picnic
Sunday 08.20.2017 at Everest Park 12pm – 3pm
WHAT TO BRING
Everyone: Drinks for you (or for sharing)
A-R: Side Dish to share
S-Z: Dessert to share
Live music, bouncy house, face painting, balloon artist, water balloon toss, games, and more!
Burgers, hot dogs, veggie burgers, water, coolers for drinks, and Menchie’s frozen yogurt
RSVP & VOLUNTEERS APPRECIATED